Monday, January 31, 2011

Living with Pema Chödrön

A quick update, before I head home and go to sleep. Nancy is sleeping.

I have some positive news. I talked to the UCSF bone marrow transplant coordinator today, and learned a lot about the process. The hospital is actively putting the search into motion, and also testing her siblings. They are also contacting our insurance to get authorized to do the expen$ive testing to see if Nancy's brother or sister will be a good donor.

Nancy is a very good candidate for her transplant. They expect to find a donor, if not her brother or sister, some good matches from the larger community of 250,000+ registered donors.

The transplant process itself should also have a high probability of success, partially because we should find a good match. She is caucasian, and most registered donors are caucasian. Patients from other ethnic groups, with a smaller pool of donors, have a much more difficult time.

On other fronts, we removed her hair tonight, and I am now married to a buddhist monk. At least, that is what I imagine. She looks good, and is gifted with a nice head shape. Also, after many years of shaving my head, I'm very happy to say that I did not cut her at all during the process.

Time to head home, walk the dog, and sleep....
-tdc

No comments:

Post a Comment