Sunday, December 11, 2011

Winding down a bit (day 46)

Stepping back, I realize that life has been very full for us over the last five days, as Nancy's family and our friends mobilized and relatives flew in from Connecticut. There have been up to a dozen visitors a day, and today things are winding down as her niece and cousin are returning to the east coast. I've had her all to myself for the last two hours, and she's been napping a lot.

She is continuing to do very well with minimal pressure support from the respirator, so she is initiating her own breaths. If this continues, we can start talking about getting her off the respirator and even using the speaking valve again within a few days. That's what I'm praying for.

One of our friends sent us a small book and CD set entitled "Graceful Passages", and I read it today. What a wonderful resource. Since she doesn't want to listen to anything, we haven't played the CD yet, but I hope to get to it tomorrow. I'll be here all day again.

The prayer ritual has also been happening for five days, that has anchored the day in some really good ways. We will be entering ritual space in her room again shortly, at 7pm. Tonight it's Sounds of a Tibetan Monastery, as she doesn't want any music. Our friend Sherrie is coming to spend the night, and I have other volunteers lined up for the next few nights. That's a load off my mind. Nancy really rests better when there is someone with her. Come to think of it, I do too.

See you shortly on the inner planes.

Love,
-tdc

No comments:

Post a Comment