Monday, November 7, 2011

Cautiously optimistic (day 13)

Hello, everyone.

I don't have a lot to report today, not much has changed. Yesterday she was off the ventilator, breathing on her own for more than 10 hours, but today it's been less. Her kidney function is still very weak, she still cannot talk or move her arms. She's been sleepy a lot today. It feels like Nancy is resting more, still kind of depressed and frustrated that her recovery is so slow. It's hard to be patient, hard for me, certainly harder for her.

Her ICU doctor says he is "cautiously optimistic", a better phrase than we were hearing a week ago. He reassures me that this kind of recovery is going to have ups and downs, the thing to look for is small, gradual improvements. And we're seeing that.

She didn't have any visitors today, but two friends are planning to come tomorrow afternoon. I'm back at work pretty full-time, after burning up all my sick time over the last 2-1/2 weeks. I'm going to try to move my schedule around so I can come see her earlier each evening.

Love,
-tdc

No comments:

Post a Comment