Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Neck surgery (day 8)

Hello, from the ICU...

Nancy just left for her second surgery, and will be in the operating room for three or four hours. This should be the last operation, and will drain her second spinal abscess, located at her C2 vertebra.

She was groggy this morning, but not in pain, not needing anything. I told her how much we all love her, relaying messages from her brother, sister, niece, and some close friends. All her vitals were fine all morning. The echocardiogram did not show any signs of infection in her heart valves, which is very good news. There were signs of some small abscesses in her heart muscle, but those should clear up along with the infection if and when her antibiotics start winning the war.

Our hope of course is that draining the abscess will push her over the edge toward recovery. We are looking for her blood pressure to climb, for her to be breathing well on her own, and ultimately, for her kidneys to start working again. But I want to be honest, her recovery is very much a 50/50 proposition according to her doctors.

So I'm praying for a perfect, effective surgery with no complications, for her safe return from the OR in about four hours, for her complete recovery. Prayer is starting to feel like an overused word for me -- is that all I can do? I've been able to bring reiki, to remind her that I love her, I choose her, I need her and want her recovery. And then there are the higher powers, the deep mysteries, the archetypal healers with ancient knowledge...I ask their attention, their assistance, their loving kindness to bring Nancy through all of this. Her spirit is great, and so is the challenge. We all ask their help.

Love,
-tdc

No comments:

Post a Comment