Monday, November 14, 2011

Small steps (day 20)

Hi, everyone.

No big news today, just small steps. She is clear, aware, and a little grumpy :-) The first thing she said when I got here tonight is "They're lame. The nurses are all lame." Actually, I think she's had the A-team because she was so critical, and is now getting the B-team. They're not bad, they just aren't quite as attentive and good at anticipating what she needs. For example, her nurse today took the warming blanket off her some hours ago, and with continuous dialysis moving her blood out through a lot of tubing, her core temperature dropped down to about 97°F. She was cold. So I suggested the warming blanket, and the nurse readily agreed.

All her vitals are still solid, good pulse, blood pressure, temperature. They are taking Nancy off the continuous dialysis now, and will give her the more normal kind of dialysis probably the day after tomorrow, when she needs it. In the mean time, we get to see if her kidneys pick up the work, as she's been making just a little urine. I think they've taken two or three pounds of fluid weight off her with the continuous dialysis.

She still can't speak, but has spent the day breathing on her own. The docs are now putting her on minimal breathing assistance at night, and the more she breathes on her own, the closer she is to getting out of the ICU. She also spent some time with physical therapists today, who had her using a bicycle-type device to exercise her legs. Her grip is strong, and she moves her shoulders and head, but still can barely move her arms.

I'm starting to really drag, I've been yawning all day even after more than 7 hours of sleep. I'm going to shoot for 8 tonight. I think the emotional drain is wearing on me more than I know.

Love,
-tdc

No comments:

Post a Comment